up to £55k + excellent benefits package + flexitime
South West, UK
Permanent - Full Time
Location : Southwest /easy commuting distance of Bristol, Bath, Swindon.
The Principal Packaging Engineer is responsible for ensuring the design solution from the packaging operations function faithfully delivers the Out of Box experience our NPI & Creative teams intend the owners of our products to receive. Reporting tot the Global Head of Packaging – Operations.
Using your broad experience in a wide range of packaging technologies and applications, ensure the right engineering and manufacturing considerations and controls have been applied in order to guarantee that the final manufactured assembly meets the high design and quality standards expected from our products. You will be responsible throughout the major development phases from concept evaluation and development in the UK, and implementation into production in Southeast Asia & for precisely communicating our design requirements to our suppliers in collaboration with our procurement teams. This remit will spread across multiple projects in the development portfolio.
Concept evaluation: The principal packaging engineer will provide insight to our concept development team to ensure the most feasible concepts are selected for downstream development. This should include:
• Advice on selection of appropriate materials and manufacturing technologies: To achieve the desired quality, cost, compliance requirements. To achieve the desired robustness requirements. To achieve the desired environmental credentials
Development: Working alongside our packaging engineers, develop the chosen concepts in order to demonstrate the proposed solution, through sufficiently credible prototype and test evidence, and provide the project’s design leadership confidence it not only delivers the customer value, but can meet cost, regulatory, manufacturing and quality criteria. This should be delivered through:
• Driving best engineering practices into the design team: Design For Manufacture, Assembly, Cost, Compliance, Robust design.
• Working with potential suppliers to provide rapid turn-around in the development of credible prototypes.
• Ensuring we have repeatable and representative test methods in place to help guide development. Initiating and running a suitable design governance/review process to ensure best practice is followed and ultimately ensuring the design output meets the standards necessary to communicate the design to our implementation counterparts in South East Asia.
Working alongside our packaging engineers in South East Asia, guide the development of the final solution to ensure it meets the highest level of detail necessary for release to our chosen suppliers for manufacturing and subsequent engineering validation. This should be delivered through:
• Detailed design evaluation: Tolerance analysis, final manufacturing simulation of prototype designs, detailed specification of materials and finishes. • Ensuring adherence to best practice design standards.
Finally, the Principal packaging engineer will be responsible for ensuring there is a means to provide closed loop feedback on development processes and released designs to ensure a continuous improvement culture is propagated. Through an acute understanding of Quality, Manufacturing and Supplier sensitivities, you will be responsible for the creation of design guides and internal standards to ensure lessons learnt are captured and embedded back into the process.
Packaging Engineers: NPI, NPD UK, NPD SEA - Compliance and materials - CSR - Quality - Procurement - Manufacturing Functional overview: The Graphics & Packaging Team is responsible for all graphics and packaging that is used in the manufacturing of our products. The operation is split between the UK and site in SEA. The UK plays a strategic role in delivering these items, and the SEA team play a tactical part. Together they deliver effective, cutting edge solutions to our Graphics and Packaging.
Skill/experience required :
• Degree in packaging design or engineering or industrial design or equivalent
• Minimum 10 years experience in either Consumer Domestic/FMCG packaging, and Retail design
Share This Page
Resource Partnership Search & Selection Ltd
15, West Hill Park
London N6 6ND